plant taxonomy practical

Donna I. Ford-Werntz diford at wvnvm.wvnet.edu
Wed Dec 15 12:32:37 EST 1999

Jeremy, Maybe you could have your students make some basic observations
(leaf arrangement, blade division, number and fusion of floral parts) on a
small group of live plants.  I'm thinking only of angiosperms here, but
depending on your purposes you might want to include bryophytes,
pteridophytes, and gymnosperms.  Then use the data to construct groupings
and compare their classifications to the taxa recognize by most botanical
systematists.  Good luck & have fun!  Donna

Donna I. Ford-Werntz     West Virginia Univ.
Herbarium Curator (WVA)  Box 6057
Asst. Prof. Biol.        Morgantown, WV 26506
425 Brooks Hall          (304)293-5201 X2549
email: diford at wvu.edu    fax: (304)293-6363
Web site at http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/