Chicago Botanic Garden Position

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 15 14:29:00 EST 1999

Plant-Ed:
I wrote to you in April asking you to help the Chicago Botanic Garden find
a well-qualified person for this important plant
biology/horticulture/education position.  The position was not filled and
the search has been started again (with a new title).  They're asking for
our help.

I visited CBG this summer for the first time and was very impressed with
the facilities and the gardens.  Learn more about the garden and its
programs at
http://www.chicago-botanic.org/index.html  .

Please share this notice with faculty colleagues and your present and
former students.  If you are in a botany department, forward a copy of the
message to colleagues in
horticulture.

Respond directly to Mary Beth Malone (see below).

David Kramer, Chair
Education Committee
Botanical Society of America

Hi David:

I noticed that you had been contacted earlier this year regarding a search
that we were doing for a Director of Community Programs at the Chicago
Botanic Garden.  That search has been restarted and renamed for the position
of Director of Education.  I see that you passed along the information
regarding that position.  Would you mind passing along this posting as well?
Your help is appreciated..

Kimberly
Research Associate

DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
CHICAGO BOTANIC GARDEN
Glencoe, IL

The mission of the Chicago Botanic Garden is to stimulate an interest in, an
appreciation for, and an understanding of gardening, horticulture, botany
and conservation of natural resources by the development of a variety of
plant collections, education and research programs while recognizing the
need to provide a continuing esthetic landscape experience.  Located in
Glencoe, the Garden occupies a 385-acre site with nearly 1.4 million plants.
Last year, almost 900,000 visitors came to the Garden, and with over 36,000
members, the Chicago Botanic Garden is one of the largest botanic gardens in
North America.

Reporting to the Vice President of Programs, the Director of Education is
responsible for the creation and implementation of collaborative educational
programs at the Garden.  Current strategic initiatives include the School
Gardening Initiative, Blooming Branches in collaboration with the Chicago
Public Library, and Horticultural Therapy.

We seek an energetic science educator with a minimum of 8 years of program
design, marketing and implementation experience.  The ideal candidate will
have created innovative community-based programs in collaboration with
governmental agencies, schools and community-based organizations.  Excellent
interpersonal and communication skills are required to relate effectively to
volunteers, visitors, staff, funders and collaborative partners.  An
advanced degree in science, education or public policy is required, as is
the ability to combine knowledge in science with education theory.

Send a letter of introduction and resume in confidence to:

Mary Beth Malone
Kittleman & Associates
300 South Wacker Drive, Suite 1710
Chicago, IL 60606