Wind and transpiration

Dave Haas dhaas at uncfsu.campuscwix.net
Mon Feb 22 16:45:14 EST 1999

I had a question today that I'm not quite sure I know the answer.  In
connection with an assignment on the effects of various factors on
transpiration a student suggested that at high wind velocities leaves would
loose water rapidly due to the effect of low pressure above the stoma
caused by the Venturi effect.  I have a feeling that such factors would not
be too significant due to the small size of stoma and the movement of the
leaves in wind.  Has anyone any thoughts on this.

D. Haas