Catus Soil

George gtheo at uclink4.berkeley.edu.not
Mon Feb 22 18:36:35 EST 1999

In article <19990220145947.01138.00000402 at ng-fy1.aol.com>, jdk97 at aol.com
(Jdk97) wrote:

> My Wife loves various varieties of Cacti, and they fair rather well
> Although you can buy various soils from the store, she wants me to see if
> anyone knows of a "special" recipie/mixture for them.
> Specifically, Christmas Cactus.
> Any suggestions?

The most important factor for cactus soil is a high percentage
of drainage material (pumice or perlite). The store bought
cactus soils do not have enough drainage material.
Tell your wife to start with a store bought cactus mix and mix
it 50/50 with pumice(if you can find it) or perlite.
Do not use sand.
-george