The best prof meetings for teaching?

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at OSU.EDU
Wed Feb 24 16:30:32 EST 1999

>I have a talented new PhD student with a strong interest in ultimately
>getting faculty position emphasizing teaching, probably at an
>undergraduate institution. With this in mind, I'd like to have her attend
>professional meetings where she will make the most valuable contacts for
>the job search. I would like to hear your recommendations!
>
>I usuaIly attend Plant Physiology (abstracts due Monday!), but the
>Botanical Society of America looks good also. Her work is in plant
>physiology with a soupcon of agriculture and a dash of systematics.
>
>Thanks for your help
>--
>Thomas Björkman
>Dept. of Horticultural Sciences
>Cornell University

Tom,
The BSA has a Teaching Section that would welcome your grad student's
presentation.  However, in August 1999 BSA will be meeting with the
International Botanical Congress.  There will be no papers presented except
for the IBC symposia which are already in place.  There WILL be poster
sessions, however.  Go to the BSA web site at http://www.botany.org  then
click on Next Meeting to get to the IBC site.  There you will find info
about the poster sessions.  Deadline is April 1.  There's no reason why a
poster couldn't be on a pedagogical topic... under the BSA Teaching Section.

I agree with Ken Klemow that, in my experience, few hires are made directly
from meeting interviews.  However, it is still a good idea for grad
students to attend meetings to make contacts with faculty (and students) in
other institutions (networking), get scuttlebutt about other institutions,
learn new teaching techniques, hear about the latest research results, etc.
Giving a paper on your research is documentation of your scholarship and
evidence that you have shared your results with others.  Similarly, giving
a paper on pedagogical technique then listing this on your resume will show
the search committee that you care enough about teaching to share your
ideas with others.

David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu