The best prof meetings for teaching?

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Wed Feb 24 16:50:43 EST 1999

Hi Thomas!

Have them consider attending the next Council on Undergraduate Research
(CUR http://www.cur.org/) National Conference, June  22-24, 2000, at the
College of Wooster, Wooster Ohio.  It would be a good place for making
contacts and attending workshops on various aspects of doing research with
undergraduates.  Membership dues are significantly discounted for graduate
students.  [Note that CUR is different from NCUR, the National Conference
on Undergraduate Research where undergraduates present their results - the
CUR meeting is for faculty and future faculty.]

Ken Klemow has a good point, but it is also important to convince a search
committee at a PUI that you really WANT to be at a PUI.  Making contacts
can help in figuring out how to do that...

Jon

>I have a talented new PhD student with a strong interest in ultimately
>getting faculty position emphasizing teaching, probably at an
>undergraduate institution. With this in mind, I'd like to have her attend
>professional meetings where she will make the most valuable contacts for
>the job search. I would like to hear your recommendations!
>
>I usuaIly attend Plant Physiology (abstracts due Monday!), but the
>Botanical Society of America looks good also. Her work is in plant
>physiology with a soupcon of agriculture and a dash of systematics.
>
>Thanks for your help
>--
>Thomas Bj–rkman
>Dept. of Horticultural Sciences
>Cornell University

  Jonathan Monroe
  Associate Professor
  Department of Biology
  MSC 7801
  James Madison University
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807
  voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
          540-568-6045 (lab)
  fax:    540-568-3333
  e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
  csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html