The best prof meetings for teaching?

Susan Singer ssinger at CARLETON.EDU
Thu Feb 25 15:12:08 EST 1999

Just to set the record straight, ASPP will publish scholarly articles on
teaching in Plant Physiology.  There is a strong commitment on the part of
the society to education.  If you have a scholarly article on teaching
Plant Physiology would be an excellent place to submit to.
Susan Singer

>In a message dated 99-02-24 19:53:24 EST, David Hershey wrote:
>
><<
> A major problem with most of the plant research societies such as ASPP
> is that they view teaching scholarship as a second-rate activity. They
> will let you present a teaching poster at their meeting but they won't
> allow you to publish it in their refereed journal.
>  >>

>If I were a graduate student who wished to gain "teaching" exposure, I would
>"strong arm" my major professor into letting me do some guest lectures in
>courses
>in the department.  Then I'd find a topic that could be worked up into a
>significant
>summary and I'd present it.  Then I'd see if I could present it at some of the
>conferences that were mentioned.  And then I'd see if it would make a good
>review article.  If I recall correctly, the American Journal of Botany,
>published by the Botanical Society of America, does from time to time publish
>articles of a historical nature on a specific topic.  I recall one that
>covered the work of Hofmeister for example.  Of course, if the topic just
>happened to also make a
>really good introductory chapter for your thesis.... well, that is just
>getting it to
>work twice for you right?
>
>By the way.  At Cornell University there are Graduate Student Teaching
>Assistant
>Development workshops.  These are designed and run by graduate students on a
>Saturday for a full day.  Topics include such things as video recording of
>each
>others teaching and then viewing and analyzing each other.  Workshops on
>lecturing, office hours, grading, using modern media, etc, etc.  The
>university
>puts in a killer lunch for free.  When I did this I thought it was both
>wonderful and
>terrible.  Wonderful since these were fellow grad students and we were all
>being
>lost together.  Terrible, because the university was getting around having to
>give
>teaching training to its teaching assistants because we were volunteering to
>do it
>for free!  Its the old balance of professionalism I guess.  Still this sort of
>effort is
>possible by a graduate student and it shows that there is interest in
>teaching.
>
>On a related topic.  Why is it that the process of getting a PhD involves a
>review of research ability but no review of teaching ability?  Would it be
>possible, just for those who want it, to have the faculty on a PhD committee
>also meet to discuss the teaching skills and efforts of a PhD candidate?  I
>suspose it might call for a whole new type of degree, since it is an
> [...]

Susan Rundell Singer
Professor                                       Phone:  507-646-4391
Department of Biology                           Fax:    507-646-5757
Carleton College                                E-mail: ssinger at carleton.edu
Northfield, MN 55057