Energy requirements of prokaryotes and eukaryotes

Jon Greenberg jgreenberg at HAL.BSCS.ORG
Fri Feb 26 18:04:47 EST 1999

This may seem obvious, but I have not seen any actual data on this

Is more energy required to maintain a given mass of eukaryotic tissue
than the same mass of prokaryotic cells?

My intuition is yes, but I don't know what has been observed. If so, thi
scould help toexplain why of the three biological energy-gathering
strategies (photosynthesis, chemosynthesis, and heterotrophy),
chemosynthesis is both the least energy-yielding and the only one not
used by eukaryotes.

Jon Greenberg