Autoclaving Hormones vs Filter Sterilizing

Fri Feb 26 17:08:51 EST 1999

At 4:46 PM -0500 2/26/99, Bob Wise wrote:
>To all,
>
>We have some tissue culture set-ups to which we wish to add GA and CK.  Can
>these hormones be autoclaved or do they have to be filter sterilized?

Benzyl Adenine (BAP) can be autoclaved with little
loss of activity. I am under the impression that
GA is not particularly labile either...but I haven't
done that personally.  Frankly, though, with the
sterile disposable filters, adding these to cooling
media after autoclaving and prior to dispensing is
not too difficult or horrendously expensive. You
can run them through the filter at the same time
to save on cost.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479