Autoclaving Hormones vs Filter Sterilizing

Carol M. Stiff kck at TURBONET.COM
Sat Feb 27 11:39:43 EST 1999

An alternative to filter sterilization of the GA is to dissolve it in DMSO, and add it to the
medium after autoclaving.  DMSO sterilizes the chemical thus eliminating the need to filter
sterilize.  Make the GA up at 10 mg/ml and this will allow you to use a minimum of DMSO in the
medium.  Your typical explants tolerate this well (buds, nodes, leaf tissue, etc.) but the DMSO
could be problematic to individual cell or protoplasts so be cautious with its use.

Carol M. Stiff, Ph.D, President and CEO
Kitchen Culture Kits, Inc.
818 Ford Street, Moscow, Idaho 83843

President, Stiff Applied Technology, Inc.
Forest Inventory Consulting/Webpage Development

Commissioned Sales Associate/Technical Advisor for PPM
Plant Cell Technology, Inc.