ASPP the best prof meetings for teaching?

David Hershey dh321 at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 28 01:14:45 EST 1999

It is nice to learn that Plant Physiology is finally going to publish its first
teaching article. Hopefully, it will start a trend and there will soon be one or
more teaching articles in each issue.

Does the same $300 manuscript fee that applies to research articles also apply
to teaching articles? If so, it might discourage submissions because nearly all
other science teaching journals do not charge the author for publication, and
teachers cannot usually get grants to cover publication costs like researchers
can.

I don't remember offhand who the editors were when I made my two separate
inquiries a few years ago but they were both dead set against teaching articles
and made that perfectly clear to me. At the time, I even published a
letter-to-the-editor in the ASPP Newsletter lobbying for the inclusion of
teaching articles in Plant Physiology, but to no avail. I am glad the Education
Committee has made progress after years of effort. It is a shame it had to take
so long for ASPP to do the right thing for education.

David Hershey
dh321 at bellatlantic.net