Experiments in plant diversity

Geeta Bharathan geeta at life.cc.sunysb.edu
Sun Feb 28 18:51:44 EST 1999

Not responding to my own post, but just to say that e-mail responses
should go to geeta at life.bio.sunysb.edu (replies to the post will bounce).

I will compile all responses I get and post them here.

Thanks!

--Geeta

Geeta Bharathan (geeta at life.cc.sunysb.edu) wrote:
: I am in the process of developing labs for a course on (green) plant
: diversity. The course will be taught in an evolutionary framework. I would
: like to demonstrate both commonality and variation in function and relate
: these to morphology and anatomy. What I have in mind are simple
: physiological experiments to show that there is, indeed, a connection
: between structure and function in organisms other than angiosperms.

: None of the lab manuals I've looked at seems to have exercises of this
: sort, even though it should be feasible. For instance, one can use dyes
: to track the movement of water in a range of plants -- mosses, ferns,
: lycopods -- and show its presence in the xylem or elsewhere.

:   What other processes are relatively simply demonstrated? Stomatal
: movement? is it even possible to make epidermal peels of non-angiosperms?

:   What are the best materials for such demonstrations (we have lots of
: Marchantia, Selaginella, Psilotum, and sundry ferns growing in our
: greenhouses)?

: I'd be grateful for any ideas/leads.

:  Geeta Bharathan
:  Assistant Professor