scientific literacy

mary brakke brakk001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Mon Jan 25 17:55:39 EST 1999

Dear Plant-edders:

I would like to get up-to-speed on the discussion of Ôscientific literacy,Õ as
especially it relates to the life sciences.  I searched BIO-SCI archives for
this phrase and came up with only two citations, so I hope that I am not
bringing up something taboo.

My questions pertain more to students who are not in a life-science program and
to the general public as opposed to those already pursuing knowledge in this
field.  What currently is thought to constitute Ôscientific literacyÕ and what
kinds of work have been conducted to assess the success of various educational
tactics to improve scientific literacy or what is thought to be aspects of it?

I am familiar with ÔThe Myth of Scientific LiteracyÕ (M. Shamos) and ÔScientific
Literacy and the Myth of the Scientific MethodÕ (H. Bauer).  I would appreciate
recommendations for other books or articles or any thoughts you might like to
share on the subject.

If you wish, you may direct responses to me and I will compile reading
suggestions and comments and submit them to the group following a reasonable
response period.

Thanks

Mary Brakke
brakk001 at tc.umn.edu