USING the Supermarket Botany Article

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Fri Jul 9 01:20:39 EST 1999

Your suggestion is a novel use for a flawed article. Unfortunately,
there have been quite a few plant science teaching articles you could
use for such an exercise. It would also be interesting to look at the
three botany texts by the "Supermarket Botany" authors. I wouldn't be
surprised if those texts also have similar errors.

You may be correct that the ABT Editor did not read the manuscript but
he should have seen to it that some competent botanist carefully
reviewed it. I have been writing letters in ABT for years pointing out
major errors in botany manuscripts, so the problem is not really new.
This was just a particularly good example of a "bad" article. Perhaps,
ABT needs one or more Associate Editors to share the workload. ABT did
have an Associate Editor a few years ago.

In my experience as both an author and reviewer, peer review is not what
it is cracked up to be. Few reviewers are going to spend the time needed
to thoroughly review and improve another person's manuscript. Reviewers
frequently do a cursory job. Often, the most in-depth reviews are ones
by a reviewer who clearly wants to kill the manuscript by finding as
many imagined flaws as possible. Those kind of reviews are not very
useful to an author. I have also seen abuses where three reviewers were
used and a simple majority ruled even if the dissenter correctly pointed
out major problems with the manuscript. I think a better approach might
be a review panel of dedicated experts rather than a large pool of peer
reviewers.

It is to ABT's credit that it is willing to publish letters pointing out
flaws in ABT articles. I know that many journals, including "Science",
will sometimes not publish such letters, presumably to avoid
embarassment.

The thing that was most disconcerting to me was the authors' response to
the criticisms. They would only admit to one specific error and used all
sorts of vague and tricky statements, including contradicting what they
said in their article, to defend themselves. They would not even admit
that they had a drawing of a peach labeled incorrectly as an apple!
Scientists are supposed to search for the truth but their response
attempted to hide the truth. It would also be instructive for students
to compose a letter to rebut the authors' response as well.

David Hershey
dh321 at excite.com