team teaching

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Fri Jul 9 09:46:15 EST 1999

This situation exists (co-teaching) on my campus for interdisciplinary
courses and both professors receive 'full credit' if they are both fully
involved in the course. Thus while the typical workload is 12 contact hours
(we're a teaching-intensive institution and believe that you don't get
quality experiences by piling on contact hours to our professors), both
professors would count this one course fully toward their 2 hour load.

In a somewhat similar situation, my spouse and I co-teach our introductory
botany course. As an administrator, I teach 'for free' but my spouse is a
part-time faculty member. She comes to every single class (and had heard
all the old jokes so many times that she knows what I'm going to say before
I say it) and does NOT get credit for being there (and occasionally
teaching the class when I need to be out of town). But it works really
well. She knows what I have said and it creates a good situation for the
students.

Teach teaching should be just that, and not tag teaching. Tag teaching
results in too much disconnect among the students in my opinion. i recall
the tag teaching system from my undergrad days. just when I thought I was
beginning to think with the professor a new one came in and i had to figure
out the new one again.

jim

At 06:59 AM 7/9/99 -0700, Jon Monroe wrote:
>Thanks for your comments a few weeks back regarding team teaching.
>
>Kathleen Archer noted:
>
>>Team teaching does
>>present the problem of different teaching styles, and to a certain extent,
>>different expectations, but if you can give each person a group of lectures
>>together students have a chance to get used to them.
>
>and Bernadette Roche mentioned:
>
>>As much as I enjoy team teaching, I think setting up a dichotomy for
>>the students (here is how plants work, and then here is how animals
>>work) prevents them from getting a good understanding of process;
>>it doesn't encourage them to compare and contrast the solutions that
>>plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, etc. use to combat the problems
>>associated with living in a heterogenous world.
>
>It seems to me that both of these problems might be solved, in part,
>by "co-teaching" (as opposed to "'tag' team teaching") in which the
>teachers are in front of the class together at least some of the
>time.  If the two faculty really wanted to do this, wrote and graded
>exams together, and could be compensated appropriately with respect
>to contact hours, I think the benefits to the students could be
>tremendous.
>
>Has anyone been able to pull this off?
>What are the cons I'm not thinking of?
>
>Jon

>  Jonathan D. Monroe           Associate Professor
>  Department of Biology       office: 540-568-6649
>  MSC 7801                       lab: 540-568-6045
>  James Madison University       fax: 540-568-3333
>  Harrisonburg, VA 22807   email: monroejd at jmu.edu
>  http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html

James. W. Perry, CEO/Campus Dean
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road, P.O. Box 8002
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952-9002
Office: 920.832.2610