Cauliflower Question

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 8 19:28:30 EST 1999

 Cauliflower is not "fleshy apical meristem tissue". Meristem is, by definition,
undifferentiated cells.  First, if it were meristem, all cauliflower would look
completely different (as does the undifferentiated cells grown  for
mericloning).  Second, it would as likely differentiate into new stems and
leaves as flowers.  It doesn't.
This is the sort of academia that has discouraged me in the past.  When you
don't cut and eat cauliflower, it blooms.  Actually sorta' pretty for a cole
crop.  So why should the bud clusters we eat be called mal-formed?  They're just
juvenile.
Hypertrophied flowers?  Cauliflower is flower buds, and the supporting stem
tissue.  Some of my Orchids have been bred for hypertrophied flowers,  and
cauliflower and broccoli have been bred for larger flower clusters, so the
preceding bud cluster will be larger too.  I'll buy, as a definition,
"selectively bred hypertrophied flower buds".
*wink*
Steve