QUESTION

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 9 17:08:33 EST 1999

Santosh:

Plants are a much simpler form of life than are mammals.  The primary
function of the kidneys are to control water volume ( in the blood, and
indirectly in the tissues )  and to remove urea ( a by-product of
metabolism ).
Plants handle the former by opening and closing stomata, although the
opening and closing is caused by the water that they control.  Urea is a
basic source of nitrogen, and all that is produced by the plant's
metabolism is used by photosynthesis.

As to the liver's detoxifying functions, yes, plants live without most of
them.  Most of the chemicals
that the liver "detoxifies" are toxic , by definition, only to animal
systems.  An alkaloid
nerve toxin like ephedrine, has no effect on plant tissue.  For chemicals
that are toxic to all cells,  a systemic contamination, the liver may take
care of at cost to itself, and the same concentration in plant tissue will
kill the plant.

The one liver function that plants do well is rendering "free radicals"
inert.  They produce thousands of "antioxidant" phytochemicals to do this
job, that we're learning more about all the time.

Oddly enough, MOST of the drugs that have been derived from plants have
been "defensive toxins" that they produce, which are toxic to animal
tissue, but inert to the plant.  Ironic, isn't it?

Hope this helps,
Steve