USING the Supermarket Botany Article

Stefanie Galgon smg4 at DANA.UCC.NAU.EDU
Mon Jul 12 13:49:18 EST 1999

Ross,

I must commend you on your creativeness -- turning a mistake into a
fortune. I have always found your questions and responses to be insightful
and genuine.  Why am I speaking up now?  Don't know.  Possibly because I
am in a transition state -- moving from a research based track to an
education based track, and I am looking for a teaching position,
therefore I have been studying the educational system in the United
States. Let me tell you, I have been slapped in the face with a few
reality checks.

I am in agreement that students must be subjected to and have the self
confidence to asses articles that have biased or mis-reported information.
It is a naivety among young career students that if information is
published, it must be true (I was a victim of this myself).

Education is not just about feeding facts into brains... it is about the
responsibility we all have as students and educators in using those facts
to observe, determine, question, interpret... and establish ourselves as
competent and resourceful individuals -- stepping down from the
soapbox now -- question everything!

Steffi

Stefanie Galgon			lab/message: (520) 523-7735
Department of Biology
Northern Arizona University	smg4 at dana.ucc.nau.edu

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"
Auntie Mame