was team teaching; now FACTS?

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Tue Jul 13 16:34:07 EST 1999

My congratulations to Bill Purves for raising this extremely important
topic. And I encourage him to use this as a springboard for submitting an
article to the Botanical Society's Plant Science Bulletin. It deserves a
full airing to all botanical educators, not only those on Plant-ed.

Each year I struggle with the issue of concept vs. content. I really WANT
to reduce the incredible number of facts that I love so dearly, that make
my life richer for knowing, but which *most* students will not recall past
more than a few months beyond the end of the term. But where to draw the
line, ah, there is the $64,000 question.

The American Society for Plant Physiologists worked on critical concepts
for an introductory botany course a couple years ago. I went to their web
site <http://www.aspp.org/education/educatio.htm>  to find information
concerning that effort. It's rather general, but it is there.

The issues that Bill raises is exactly why the 'A' word in higher education
(Assessment) is so important. If we can develop some agreed upon goals for
the concepts that our students should be taking away from our courses, both
majors and the much larger number of non majors, then we will be on our way
to ensuring a scientifically literate populace. In order to make sure we're
doing what we want to do, let's develop an agreed upon assessment (a
practical tool that does not cost a fortune to administer) and then let's
use it!!!

Stepping off the soapbox now...

jim

At 03:45 PM 7/12/99 -0700, Bill Purves wrote:
>>On July 9th, Bill Purves wrote:    "I'm not a believer in
>>>having the accumulation of specific facts be the point of a course.
>>>Put a nickel in me, and I'll bore you to tears explaining why
>>>I think there is virtually NOTHING specific anybody needs to know
>>>at the undergraduate level."
>>
>>PLOPPP.......(the sound of a nickel).....I wonder if Bill could expand a bit
>>on this? Aren't we preparing biology majors for MCAT & GRE exams, and for
>>careers in biology that require knowledge of some "specific facts"? And
>>wouldn't we like non-majors to be at least conversational on biological
>>topics? Bill's statement is a little disconcerting to someone who actually
>>learned alot as an undergraduate, and now spends a lot of time trying to
>>prepare accurate, well-organized, up-to-date lectures to undergraduates!
>>
>>Dave Robinson
>>Biology Dept
>>Bellarmine College
>>Louisville, KY
>
>Thanks for the welcome nickel, Dave!  All donations gratefully accepted :-)
>
>It won't surprise anybody to hear that I made that assertion assuming that
>at least one nickel would come in.  I was about to say that I hope we'll have
>an interesting discussion, and then I realized that to a considerable
>extent I'd be preaching to the choir, given this group's interest in
>optimizing learning/teaching.
>
>Of course, a person who knows NO facts is probably in a bad situation ;-)
>although we might agree that there are more important SKILLS than important
>FACTS.  When I said that "there is virtually NOTHING specific anybody
needs to
>know," I did include the word "virtually."  But what if we dump the
>"virtually"?  What FACTS are the irreducible minimum?  For me, perhaps the
>bottom line is that I would hate to have a student's (major OR nonmajor)
>undergraduate biology experience not include a serious consideration of
>evolution, at some level.  (In my 1952-56 undergraduate education as a
>bio major at Caltech, I think almost the only time I heard mention of
>evolution was in a geochemistry course taught by Harrison Brown--but, then,
>the big shift in biologists's attitudes toward evolution was just happening
>in those days.)  If the student can't be given a good, serious consideration
>of evolution, I'd as soon she not be given ANY consideration of it.
>
>Part of my attitude is a reaction to other attitudes I've encountered.
>At an HHMI meeting a few years ago, biologists at a fine (and here anonymous)
>university were describing the ideal introductory bio course they had
>devised.  I was startled by the extent of the content, so I asked whether
>a particular lecture might not be dispensable (cheer up--it was a
>zoological topic ;-)  One of their faculty said, "We couldn't accept a
>student into our graduate program if he hadn't had that material!"
>I pointed out that if that was their criterion, then (1) they'd probably
> [...]

James. W. Perry, CEO/Campus Dean
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road, P.O. Box 8002
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952-9002
Office: 920.832.2610