was team teaching; now FACTS?

Robinson, Dr. David drobinson at BELLARMINE.EDU
Wed Jul 14 09:42:21 EST 1999

But isn't Purves' emphasis on teaching "skills" (and his de-emphasis of
"facts") going to result in college graduates who might be excellent at
problem-solving, but who will have a poor grasp of what the "problem" is
that they are trying to solve? Since Bill is now recommending this same
approach be applied by high-school science teachers too, what he is
essentially saying is that we are expecting students to postpone "learning
the facts" until graduate school. But graduate school is a time for
specialization (once there, a student only focuses on one particular facet
of biology). I still say that the undergraduate years are the best time for
students to become generalists in their major. Higher-order thinking is only
going to be successful when they can speak "the language", and if you've
ever studied a foreign language you know that learning (yes, even
memorizing!) vocabulary is a critical part of that process.
                                            Dave Robinson, Bellarmine
College