was team teaching; now FACTS?

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Wed Jul 14 13:33:47 EST 1999

Dave Williams wrote,

>And while we're at it, what about descriptive science? Don't students need to
>understand that the quest for pattern, classification, organization, and law
>are valid research objectives? Science is not strictly experimental. When and
>how do we incorporate this vital aspect of biology into the "process" of
>education?

A colleague of mine who does animal descriptive morphology teases me
all the time about my "experimental" work on a gene family in
Arabidopsis as really being "descriptive morphology"...

Just because the students aren't doing an experiment doesn't mean
they can't be investigating.  For example, rather than telling
students what to see in a prepared microscope slide, let them make
the preparations and figure out for themselves what it is they see.

Jon

  Jonathan D. Monroe           Associate Professor
  Department of Biology       office: 540-568-6649
  MSC 7801                       lab: 540-568-6045
  James Madison University       fax: 540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807   email: monroejd at jmu.edu
  http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html