Plant Educ Symposium at IBC

Stefanie Galgon smg4 at DANA.UCC.NAU.EDU
Thu Jul 15 15:50:09 EST 1999


David and others -- 

If you are going, where are you staying?  I haven't booked a hotel room
yet (eek).  I have to register on site, therefore I could not ask for them
to book one for me.  There is a list... any suggestions?


Steffi



******************************************************************
Stefanie Galgon			lab/message: (520) 523-7735
Department of Biology		
Northern Arizona University	smg4 at dana.ucc.nau.edu

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"  
Auntie Mame
******************************************************************

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, David W. Kramer wrote:

> --============_-1280054657==_ma============
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> If you plan to attend the International Botanical Congress in St. Louis,
> August 1-7, 1999, you will want to mark you calendar for Tuesday, August 3,
> at 1:00 pm (Session 7) and the symposium, "Botanical Literacy for the Next
> Millennium: What to Know and How to Know It."  Of the hundreds of symposia
> in the program, this is, I think, the only one addressing issues of plant
> biology education.
> 
> Here is the abstract and an updated list of presenters and their topics:
> 
> Symposium Abstract
> 
> The Botanical Society of America's plan for the future, "Botany for the
> Next Millennium," is a "framework for identifying research and educational
> goals, priorities, and opportunities in the botanical sciences."  Botanists
> are challenged to examine the place of plant biology in undergraduate
> education, especially to reassert the importance of plants as evolved and
> evolving living organisms fundamentally important in all of the world's
> ecosystems.  We are asked not just to examine course content but also to
> utilize new pedagogical technologies that prove to be effective for the
> learner.  Botanists are urged to become involved in K-12 curriculum design
> so that young students will gain an appreciation of plants and knowledge of
> plant biology that will adequately prepare them for their university
> studies.  This symposium focuses on both aspects of botanical literacy:
> What should students learn about plants? and What are some of the most
> effective ways to learn about plants?  Special emphasis is given to the
> promise of new instructional technologies including the World Wide Web.  An
> international panel of presenters will share their views and experiences
> and lead us in a discussion of these issues.
> 
> Speakers (in order of presentation):
> 
> 1  Uno, Gordon E.		Multidimensional scientific literacy
> 
> 2  Wicks, Raymond E., 	Plant biology using DASH and FAST
> Susan C. Gieseke, and
> Diana Robben
> 
> 3  Kimata, Mikio 		Environmental education in Japan:  A
> botanical perspective
> 
> 4  Pigliucci, Massimo	Promoting the teaching of evolution in Tennessee
> high schools:  A
> 			workshop approach to educating and empowering teachers
> 
> 5  Silvester, Warwick 	Computer based teaching of structure:  A plant
> physiologist's approach
> 
> 6  Buckley, Donald		On the threshold of a new millennium:
> Advanced educational
> 			technology to foster transition to the learning
> paradigm in biology
> 
> 7  Campbell, Neil 		Leveraging biology's popularity to promote
> botanical literacy
> 
> 
> For more general information about the IBC, registration forms, etc., go to
> http://www.ibc99.org/
> *********************
> David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
> Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
> Ohio State University at Mansfield
> 1680 University Drive
> Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
> Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
> e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu
> --============_-1280054657==_ma============
> Content-Type: text/enriched; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> If you plan to attend the International Botanical Congress in St.
> Louis, August 1-7, 1999, you will want to mark you calendar for
> Tuesday, August 3, at 1:00 pm (Session 7) and the symposium,
> <bold>"Botanical Literacy for the Next Millennium: What to Know and How
> to Know It."</bold>  Of the hundreds of symposia in the program, this
> is, I think, the only one addressing issues of plant biology
> education.
> 
> 
> Here is the abstract and an updated list of presenters and their
> topics:
> 
> 
> <bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param><bigger>Symposium Abstract
> 
> 
> </bigger></fontfamily></bold><fontfamily><param>Times</param>The
> Botanical Society of America's plan for the future, "Botany for the
> Next Millennium," is a "framework for identifying research and
> educational goals, priorities, and opportunities in the botanical
> sciences."  Botanists are challenged to examine the place of plant
> biology in undergraduate education, especially to reassert the
> importance of plants as evolved and evolving living organisms
> fundamentally important in all of the world's ecosystems.  We are asked
> not just to examine course content but also to utilize new pedagogical
> technologies that prove to be effective for the learner.  Botanists are
> urged to become involved in K-12 curriculum design so that young
> students will gain an appreciation of plants and knowledge of plant
> biology that will adequately prepare them for their university studies.
>  This symposium focuses on both aspects of botanical literacy:  What
> should students learn about plants? and What are some of the most
> effective ways to learn about plants?  Special emphasis is given to the
> promise of new instructional technologies including the World Wide Web.
>  An international panel of presenters will share their views and
> experiences and lead us in a discussion of these issues.
> 
> 
> Speakers (in order of presentation):
> 
> 
> 1  Uno, Gordon E.		Multidimensional scientific literacy
> 
> 
> 2  Wicks, Raymond E., 	Plant biology using DASH and FAST
> 
> Susan C. Gieseke, and 
> 
> Diana Robben
> 
> 		
> 
> 3  Kimata, Mikio 		Environmental education in Japan:  A botanical
> perspective
> 
> 
> 4  Pigliucci, Massimo	Promoting the teaching of evolution in Tennessee
> high schools:  A 		
> 
> 			workshop approach to educating and empowering teachers
> 
> 
> 5  Silvester, Warwick 	Computer based teaching of structure:  A plant
> physiologist's approach
> 
> 
> 6  Buckley, Donald		On the threshold of a new millennium:  Advanced
> educational 
> 
> 			technology to foster transition to the learning paradigm in biology
> 
> 
> 7  Campbell, Neil 		Leveraging biology's popularity to promote
> botanical literacy
> 
> 
> 
> </fontfamily>For more general information about the IBC, registration
> forms, etc., go to 
> 
> http://www.ibc99.org/
> 
> *********************
> 
> David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
> 
> Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
> 
> Ohio State University at Mansfield
> 
> 1680 University Drive
> 
> Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
> 
> Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
> 
> e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu
> 
> --============_-1280054657==_ma============--
> 
> 




More information about the Plant-ed mailing list