Bamboo

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at math.ku.dk
Tue Jun 1 17:17:15 EST 1999

Dear all,

I am doing some research into ancient Vedic ritual geometry and encountered
something interesting concerning bamboo.  In the measuring out of certain
altars a bamboo rod is used.  When I was speaking to my wife about this she
commented that bamboo rods are very straight.  I did not think so much about
it but I have been looking carefully at different occassions and can see
that bamboo do indeed have a tendency to be quite straight.  In this
connection I wanted to ask if anyone can tell me about this straightness of
bamboo.  Has any studies on this been done (i.e. how much is the error from
being perfectly straight)?  Is there other plants, particularly on the
Indian subcontinent which are similarly straight?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen