Questions re science illustration

Cindy Gresham gresham at orbitworld.net
Thu Jun 17 19:45:41 EST 1999

I am a freelance graphic designer hoping to switch my focus to science
illustration, and have just completed a BSc in biology.  I am just
beginning my research into who uses science illustrators and for what
type of
projects, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to just broadcast these
questions in a few
newsgroups. Any responses to any of my questions will be very much
appreciated.

1.     Have any of the participants in this newgroup ever been involved
in the production of a biology textbook? If so...
    a.   How much specific instructions were the illustrators given
about the content of the illustrations?
    b.   How much did the publisher or author rely on the illustrator's
own knowedge of the subject?
    c.   Are authors involved in the selection of illustrators, or do
the publishers usually
do the selection?

2.     Do any of the participants in this newsgroup ever work with
illustrators to enhance a slide presentation or an article? If so...
    a.   How do you go about selecting an illustrator for projects such
as this?
    b.   Is there someone else who would do the selecting for you?
    c.   Would you do a search on the internet for science illustrators?

    d.   Would it be helpful to receive a sample of an illustrator's
work in the mail to keep on hand?

I am very grateful to anyone who can offer any advice or insights. And,
naturally, I am happy to send some samples of my work to any one who is
interested!

Best regards,
Cindy Gresham
Houston, TX