Willow: Corkscrew weeper

Fred Howard fshoward at tir.com
Sat Jun 19 06:34:26 EST 1999

I have a crazy three-year-old corkscrew weeping willow.  It is an unusual,
handsome plant that grows with one trunk (rather than the half dozen or so
that corkscrew willows often have) and has branches that weep; yet it has
the twisted trunk and branches of the corkscrew willow.

Have any of you ever seen another one of these corkscrew (or contorted)
willows that weep, with branches brushing the ground?

About four years ago, I put a corkscrew willow (Salix matsudana) in a grove
of giant weeping willow (Salix babylonica) trees.  The next year, two tiny
corkscrew
willows with weeping characteristics started to grow on my property.  I kept
one
of them, and I am glad I did.

I wrote to a dozen nurseries, asking them if they ever heard of such a tree.
The only responses I got were negative.

Have you folks seen such a tree in all your experience with plants?  Please
let me know.  I'll be happy to email you pictures of my tree, if you are
interested.  My email address is fshoward at tir.com

Fred Howard