CO2 in leaves

Joseph Holtum Joseph.Holtum at jcu.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 17:08:48 EST 1999

Dear Bill, Kathleen etc,

Ci has been measured in CAM plants during the deacidification phase when
stomata are closed. It was first performed by Bill Cockburn in the mid to
late 70s - I don't have the reference to hand but I seem to remember it was
reported in 1979 in Plant Physiol (co-authors Ting and Sternberg??) - by
simply sampling the gas inside a succulent leaf using a syringe and
injecting the gas into a GC. Levels of around 1% were measured. It sounds
like a crude idea - but it turned out to be a beauty!

Cheers and beers

Joe

Dr Joe Holtum
Dept of Tropical Plant Sciences
School of Biological Sciences,
James Cook University of North Queensland,
Townsville, North Queensland 4111
AUSTRALIA

Facsimile: - 61 (int) 07 47 251570
Telephone: - 61 (int) 07 47 814391