Unsubscribing

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:14:45 EST 1999

Bill,

I suspect it was just an oversight that Gary Hannan wanted off of Plant-ed
and you posted instructions for the PLANT-L listserve...  We all need a
spring break!!  (For those who may not know, PLANT-L is a listserve for
Plant Physiologists at primarily undergraduate institutions.)

As one of the Plant-ed "discussion leaders", I try to handle questions like
Gary's privately so as not to fill up the archives.  Others do not need to
reply to subscription messages.  Since Gary's situation may not be that
uncommon, here is a copy of what I sent to him this morning:

[snip]
Gary,

The address that BIOSCI has for you is:  bio_hannan at emuvax.emich.edu
Is that the address you have attempted to uncubscribe from?
If so, then maybe there was a problem with the command:

Send the message:
	unsubscribe plant-ed
	end

to the address:
	biosci-server at net.bio.net

If your address was changed, then you may be able to unsubscribe from the
old address with the help of an EMU computer systems administrator.  If you
can't get them to help, I can send a message to BIOSCI to have them do it
by hand, but as busy as they are I try to avoid doing that...  Let me know
(monroejd at jmu.edu) what happens or if I can be of any more help.

Jon
[snip]

Bill Williams replied to Gary Hannan's message:
>>I will be away for three months, so I need to remove myself for the
>>plant-ed list.  I tried a couple times, but I obviously do not have the
>>correct procedure.  Would someone let me know how to do it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Gary Hannan
>
>Since others may have similar questions, below is an excerpt from what
>should have been sent to all when they subscribed:
>
>You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF PLANT-L" command
>to LISTSERV at CRCVMS.UNL.EDU. You can also tell LISTSERV how you want it to
>confirm the receipt of messages you send to the list. If you do not trust
>the system, send a "SET PLANT-L REPRO" command and LISTSERV will send you
>a copy  of your own messages,  so that you  can see that the  message was
>distributed and  did not get  damaged on the way.  After a while  you may
>find that this is getting annoying,  especially if your mail program does
>not tell you  that the message is  from you when it informs  you that new
>mail has  arrived from PLANT-L. If  you send a "SET  PLANT-L ACK NOREPRO"
>command, LISTSERV  will mail you  a short acknowledgement  instead, which
>will look  different in your  mailbox directory. With most  mail programs
>you will  know immediately that this  is an acknowledgement you  can read
>later. Finally,  you can turn  off acknowledgements completely  with "SET
>PLANT-L NOACK NOREPRO".
>
>Cheers,
>
>-W2
>
>________________________
>William E. Williams
>Biology Department, St. Mary's College of Maryland
>St. Mary's City, MD 20686 USA
>WEWilliams at osprey.smcm.edu
>(301)862-0365

  Jonathan Monroe
  Associate Professor
  Department of Biology
  MSC 7801
  James Madison University
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807
  voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
          540-568-6045 (lab)
  fax:    540-568-3333
  e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
  csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html