lawn alternatives

Jensen, Douglas Paige jensendp at jmu.edu
Tue Mar 9 16:15:16 EST 1999

I know we don't want too many humorous notes, but I
couldn't help myself here....I've seen interesting ways to
get around the lawn problem on the South Side of Chicago,
where my wife grew up.  Here are a couple.
1.  Cover your yard with cement and paint it green (common
near Comisky Park).
2.  Cover everything with astroturf.  Tree stumps are
especially festive this way.

Seriously, though, I think periwinkle looks pretty good,
and it doesn't need mowing.  Not sure how nice it is to walk
on barefoot, though.  You need to take alot of information
into account when you decide what to plant....local
temperatures, rainfall, amount of sunshine.  A local garden
store should be the appropriate source of information.
Doug

Douglas P. Jensen
Department of Biology
MSC 7801