Growth Chambers

Gerald F. Deitzer gd3 at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Fri Mar 19 09:44:57 EST 1999

--------------62C1762FE1BE1D7129848FB6

--------------53299F819EFC2EBEBF26F351

Dear Carmen,

You should have no trouble growing either spring or winter wheat under
continuous light in a growth chamber.  Of course you will have to vernalize
the winter wheat at about 4 degrees C for a couple of weeks before they will
flower.  I would also recommend adding some incandescent light in the
chambers as a source of far-red energy to speed up flowering, if that is
your goal.  We routinely grow barley under 24 hr photoperiods which
maximises both growth and flowering.  The procedures for our growth chamber
experiments with barley are described in Principe et al., 1992, Plant
Physiology 98: 1444-1450 or perhaps in somewhat greater detail in Deitzer et
al., 1979 Plant Physiology 64: 1015-1021.  A recent paper that is available
on-line at http://www.aspp.org/ by Hanumappa, et al., 1999 Plant Physiology
119: 1033-1039, also comtains most of this information, but mixed in with a
lot of other stuff.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact
me by phone or e-mail.

Sincerely,

Gerry Deitzer

Carmen Chan wrote:

>         Right now I have Spring and Winter wheat varieties growing in
> growth chambers at a 16h-day/8h-night cycle at 20C and 70% r.h.. I'm
> considering switching to a 24h-day continuous lighting cycle to see if
> that can speed up the growth of the plants. Does anyone know if that
> would work, and, if possible, point me to a literature reference? Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Stewart
> (I'm using my girlfriend's account to post, so please don't reply
> directly)
>
> --
>
> Suet-Ying C Chan
> carmen at iastate.edu
> Department of Community and Regional Planning
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~carmen
>         _____
>        /     \
>    O  /|||||||\
>     O  | @ @ |
>        (__v__)=
>       /LLLLLL|\
>        \LLLLL|
>         \LLLL|_
>              |/

--------------53299F819EFC2EBEBF26F351

<HTML>
Dear Carmen,

<P>You should have no trouble growing either spring or winter wheat under
continuous light in a growth chamber.&nbsp; Of course you will have to
vernalize the winter wheat at about 4 degrees C for a couple of weeks before
they will flower.&nbsp; I would also recommend adding some incandescent
light in the chambers as a source of far-red energy to speed up flowering,
if that is your goal.&nbsp; We routinely grow barley under 24 hr photoperiods
which maximises both growth and flowering.&nbsp; The procedures for our
growth chamber experiments with barley are described in Principe et al.,
1992, Plant Physiology 98: 1444-1450 or perhaps in somewhat greater detail
in Deitzer et al., 1979 Plant Physiology 64: 1015-1021.&nbsp; A recent
paper that is available on-line at <A HREF="http://www.aspp.org/">http://www.aspp.org/</A> by Hanumappa, et
al., 1999 Plant Physiology 119: 1033-1039, also comtains most of this information,
but mixed in with a lot of other stuff.&nbsp; If you have any questions,
please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail.

<P>Sincerely,

<P><FONT FACE="ShelleyVolante BT"><FONT SIZE=+2>Gerry Deitzer</FONT></FONT>

<P>Carmen Chan wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Right
now I have Spring and Winter wheat varieties growing in
<BR>growth chambers at a 16h-day/8h-night cycle at 20C and 70% r.h.. I'm
<BR>considering switching to a 24h-day continuous lighting cycle to see
if
<BR>that can speed up the growth of the plants. Does anyone know if that
<BR>would work, and, if possible, point me to a literature reference? Thanks
<BR>in advance.

<P>Stewart
<BR>(I'm using my girlfriend's account to post, so please don't reply
<BR>directly)

<P>--

<P>Suet-Ying C Chan
<BR>carmen at iastate.edu
<BR>Department of Community and Regional Planning
<BR><A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~carmen">http://www.public.iastate.edu/~carmen</A>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _____
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; O&nbsp; /|||||||\
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; O&nbsp; | @ @ |
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (__v__)=
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /LLLLLL|\
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \LLLLL|
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \LLLL|_
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|/</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------53299F819EFC2EBEBF26F351--

--------------62C1762FE1BE1D7129848FB6

begin:          vcard
fn:             Gerald F. Deitzer
n:              Deitzer;Gerald F.
org:            University of Maryland
adr:            Department of Natural Resource Sciences & Landscape Architecture;;2132 Plant Sciences ;College Park;MD;20742-4452;USA
email;internet: gd3 at umail.umd.edu
title:          Professor of Horticulture
tel;work:       301-405-4335
tel;fax:        301-314-9308
tel;home:       301-445-2664
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0