Case studies approach suggestions wanted for non-major plant science course

Wilson Crone cronewil at HVCC.EDU
Mon Mar 29 10:44:03 EST 1999

Hi--I think that this is an interesting approach, as I try to use it in my
community college economic botany class.  "Case studies" to me implies two,
somewhat different items:

1.  Patient with orthostatic BP changes and weight loss after diarrhea, etc.  (I
have a clinical background in addition to botany, so I will use these types of case
studies to emphasize application of concepts in anatomy and physiology courses).
Maybe you could do that approach for nutritional disorders like pellagra.

2.  More to the point of your posting, what about highlighting a major issue or two
about the plant?  For potatoes, the Irish potato famine of the 1840s is an
informative case study--one can talk about the nature of the plant, its nutritive
value, the downfall of vegetative propagation, and Irish/Anglo political
interactions.  For Dutch elm disease, we can highlight the natural beauty of an
elm, the import of the disease, the methods of spread, and interests in plant
breeding (or issues in continuous treatment of plants, such as those elms on the
Mall in D.C.)  Maize, teosinte and its origin, sugar cane and the introduction of
slavery to the New World, pepper and the spice trade, etc., all are wonderful
opportunities to highlight an interdisciplinary focus on a particular plant to make
the larger point.  I guess that's what I mean and tend to use with "case
studies."   Bill Crone

Wilson Crone
Department of Biology
Hudson Valley Community College