BIOLOGICAL TRANSMUTATIONS !

Steven B. Harris sbharris at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 24 18:26:39 EST 1999

In <7ibev6$sbk$1 at bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net> "Danny Boy"
<danny_._boy at worldnet.att.net> writes:

>------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEA5B2.FF67B160
>

>>>... Either that, or a copy of a dead you. ;-)
>>
>>   Well, how is a copy of a live you going to differ from a copy of a
>>dead you?
>
>Well, that's the question, isn't it?  I was paying attention all
right, =
>I'm just not convinced is all.  I totally agree with what you're
saying =
>about gross arrangement.  However, (and please forgive my siting =
>examples from Star Trek, I do realize it's not-for-real, but they make
=
>some valid points, I think), in the Star Trek universe, inanimate =
>objects are transported (and replicated) using molecular resolution =
>(presumably throwing caution with respect to h/2pi to the wind, which
I =
>agree would be fine), and people are transported using quantum =
>resolution.  There's so much we don't know about what makes us alive.
I =
>would be worried about not getting the spin of my quirks right
(probably =
>too much worrying, though), let alone having my subatomic particles
vary =
>in position by h/2pi (which for all we know could make a world of =
>difference when it comes to being alive).  You ask how a copy of a
live =
>you is going to differ from a copy of a dead you. . .I'm just not =
>convinced that h/2pi is as small as we think it is when it comes to =
>transporting live beings.  Maybe I'd just be like Dr. McCoy:  afraid
to =
>step foot into the transporter and get my molecules scrambled. . .

   But you get your molecules scrambled all the time!  Thermal motion
knocks them around and back and forth.  Molecules get broken down and
replaced, so that after a decade a lot (probably most) of your atoms
are not even the same, but have been replaced by different (though
identical) atoms from your diet.  Does that make you not you?