Plant-ed and spam

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu May 27 21:56:26 EST 1999

--============_-1284262652==_ma============

Scott Shumway asked:

>Is there a way to avoid all of this and still be subscribed to the list?

Maybe.  I've been told that some mail programs (Eudora Pro, Netscape
Messenger, MS Outlook, for example) have built in filtering systems with
which you can automatically trash messages from certain addresses or that
contain certain key words.  Does anyone successfully use such a filter for
Plant-ed spam?

I spoke with the BIOSCI administrator this afternoon and asked him what was
happening on his end regarding filtering.  He is well aware of the problem
and committed to doing something about it.  They are having personnel
turnover that may slow things down but he thinks that by the end of the
summer BIOSCI will be running on an upgraded system and that one of several
possible spam filtering systems will be in place.  If it doesn't work I
think we should reconsider being a moderated group.  I don't think moving
the whole thing to a listserv system would be wise since the automatically
created, searchable archives
(http://www.bio.net:80/hypermail/PLANT-EDUCATION/) would not be possible.

>(yes, I know the delete key is very powerful)

That is what I recommend for now and we'll see what the summer brings.
Let's all try to resist the urge to reply to spam since that only creates
more messages to delete...

Thanks for your patience.

Jon

 Jonathan D. Monroe           Associate Professor
 Department of Biology       office: 540-568-6649
 MSC 7801                       lab: 540-568-6045
 James Madison University       fax: 540-568-3333
 Harrisonburg, VA 22807   email: monroejd at jmu.edu
 http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html

 Harrisonburg, VA 22807   email: monroejd at jmu.edu

 http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html