photosynthetic pigments

Susan Schenk sschenk at JSD.CLAREMONT.EDU
Tue Nov 16 00:09:23 EST 1999

Hi, all. Some students in my intro bio lab recently did some paper
chromatography with various plants. The usual spinach /alcohol extract gave
the expected four bands with petroleum ether/acetone as the solvent, but some
of the other leaves seemed to have an additional  yellow band close to the
starting point, running more slowly than chlorophyll b.  Do any of you know
what this might be? Is it real or an artifact? Maybe a breakdown product? I'd
appreciate any help.
Thanks and cheers,
Sue Schenk
sschenk at