Plant Science Internet Guide?

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at OSU.EDU
Mon Nov 22 12:09:48 EST 1999

> Plant-Edders,
>	Do any of you spend time in a computer lab with your
>plant science students? Would you recommend a "Plant Sciences
>Internet Guide" you use or have thought about using. I have
>found a few sites with a Google search, and several libraries
>have electronic guides to their own holdings. I don't know
>of a booklet on this subject. Have you seen such a document?
>
>	I have used this with modest success in Nursing Microbiolgy
>that I also teach. I would like to adapt this to my Spring Semester
>Plant Sciences. I would appreciate any hints, dangers, suggestions,
>and recommendations you would be willing to pass on to me.
>
>	Thanks,
>	David

David,
I hope you and your students will go to the web site of the Botanical
Society of America (http://www.botany.org) and click on Botanical Links.
My students rely heavily on these three links from that list:
	CSUBIOWEB - Steve Wolf's science links site at
		http://arnica.csustan.edu/index.html
      	Scott's Botanical Link of the Day
		http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/bot-linx/
	Botanical Links - Subject Index (for Scott's Botanical Link of the Day)
		http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/bot-linx/subject/

Be very careful about putting such links in print.  It is more useful to
the students to have them in electronic form so they can simply click on
the hot links and not have to type in the URL's.  Besides, a couple of
years ago a major textbook publisher published a book of links for Plant
Science and soon learned that one of the links had what some considered a
lude photo embedded in a place you might least suspect.  There was a flurry
of activity to recall the books, reprint them, issue letters of apology,
etc.  Had they been published as hot links on the publisher's web site,
they could have immediately removed the URL to the offending site.

David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu