Medical School

Andy andywon at
Sun Nov 28 03:19:21 EST 1999

Hi ,

Thanks for your mail !
    As I know, there are two streams of medical courses in Australia.
One is retaining the traditional good quality of six-year
medical program (e.g. University of New South Wales & Monash University)
while the another one is  taking the approach of
Problem Bases Learning (PBL) or Self-Directed Learning (e.g. University
of Sydney).
    Therefore, I get confused about these two streams of medical
programs. Then, I asked for comments and suggestions from the "medical
newsgroups" . Some people replied that it depends on my need &
biomedical background. But the others stated that "PBL courses give
students more developed skills to work in teams and as individuals.
That is what is required of doctors in today's world.  Society will not
accept doctors who can not work in a team environment.Moreover, PBL
program eliminates the competition among the students as ,other than
"pass" & "fail", there are no grades for the examinations of  first two
    I'll be glad if you would kindly give me some comments and tell me
what you distinguish the medical course at UNSW from the most Australian