gametophyte reduction

Donna I. Ford-Werntz diford at WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
Mon Oct 4 16:17:31 EST 1999

Although I can't comment based on evolution of specific fossil plants, I
have heard/read (but can't recall from who/where) that dominance of the
diploid, rather than haploid, may offer more evolutionary flexibility
(therefore greater success) from the standpoint of mutational variation and
natural selection.

Donna I. Ford-Werntz     West Virginia Univ.
Herbarium Curator (WVA)  Box 6057
Asst. Prof. Biol.        Morgantown, WV 26506
425 Brooks Hall          (304)293-5201 X2549
email: diford at wvu.edu    fax: (304)293-6363
Web site at http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/