Definition of Plant

Jon Greenberg jongreen at BLUEMARBLE.NET
Thu Oct 7 23:04:28 EST 1999

At BSCS, we have been following Lynn Margulis' book Five Kingdoms, which
defines plants as multicellular photoautotrophs that develop from

Jon Greenberg

David Hershey wrote:
> The half dozen current botany texts I have agree that the Plant Kingdom
> consists of just bryophytes and vascular plants, so I was surprised that
> the American Society of Plant Physiologists' Education Foundation's
> 'Principles of Plant Biology - Concepts For Science Education' states
> that "Plants exhibit diversity in size and shape ranging from single
> cells to gigantic trees."
> Is there still disagreement over what organisms are included in the
> Plant Kingdom?
> David Hershey
> dh321 at

Jon Greenberg, Ph.D.            Curriculum Development
Science Education Consultant    Program Evaluation
719-477-0160                    Preservice & Inservice Teacher Education
mailto:jongreen at