Definition of Plant

Fri Oct 8 11:57:45 EST 1999

At 9:44 PM -0500 10/7/99, Stephen M Jankalski wrote:
>Aren't organisms containing chloroplasts (whether functional or not) the
>only ones considered to be plants nowadays? Excluding prokaryote bacteria
>and blue-green algae, of course. Fungi, viruses, protozoans and animals
>would also be excluded as well .
>
>David Hershey <dh321 at excite.com> wrote in article
><37FD4DF3.DD1C659C at excite.com>...
>> The half dozen current botany texts I have agree that the Plant Kingdom
>> consists of just bryophytes and vascular plants, so I was surprised that
>> the American Society of Plant Physiologists' Education Foundation's
>> 'Principles of Plant Biology - Concepts For Science Education' states
>> that "Plants exhibit diversity in size and shape ranging from single
>> cells to gigantic trees."
>>
>> Is there still disagreement over what organisms are included in the
>> Plant Kingdom?
>>
>> David Hershey
>> dh321 at excite.com

Some people include Chlorophyta in Plantae.
The disposition of algae is controversial
and likely to continue to be for a long time.
There is strong evidence for including the
greens in Plantae. The "holdup" is mostly
what to do with other "algae." Protista is
a polyphyletic mess, likely to be divided.

The "long view" I think is that Chlorophytes
will be the foundation of Plantae, and that
other algal divisions may end up in other
kingdoms.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479