Definition of Plant

SMeissne at AOL.COM SMeissne at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 8 13:19:02 EST 1999

Depends on whether you consider the entire life cycle of the plant or not.
After all sperm and egg are single celled stages of plants, yet they are no
less plants, arn't they?

But I have to agree that ASPP's statement does give the impression that
Chlorella and similar photosynthetic protista might be considered to be
plants.  I hope
that was not what they intended.

Scott Meissner

<<
 The half dozen current botany texts I have agree that the Plant Kingdom
 consists of just bryophytes and vascular plants, so I was surprised that
 the American Society of Plant Physiologists' Education Foundation's
 'Principles of Plant Biology - Concepts For Science Education' states
 that "Plants exhibit diversity in size and shape ranging from single
 cells to gigantic trees."

 Is there still disagreement over what organisms are included in the
 Plant Kingdom?

 David Hershey
 dh321 at excite.com