Definition of Plant

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Sat Oct 9 00:37:19 EST 1999

I think it's something worth discussing. Most botany textbooks don't
have the term plant in their glossaries. Stern's "Introductory Plant
Biology" does and defines plants simply as members of the Kingdom
Plantae. There is certainly a lot of holdover from the old two kingdom
system where plant was basically defined as nonanimal.

I think there are advantages to having a clear definition for plant.
Botany is heavy on terminology, and much of it is confused despite
lengthy glossaries in most botany/biology texts, floras, and field
guides not to mention several dictionaries of botany. A lot of the
definitions are imprecise, and different books often have significantly
different definitions for the same term. Even young children should be
able to tell apart a bacterium, a mushroom, and a tree, so to call all
of them plants is potentially confusing especially given how difficult
it is to replace student misconceptions about science with correct
knowledge.  It would be very useful if there was a copyright-free,
official online botanical glossary so that there could be less confusion
in terminology.

The five kingdom system has wide acceptance in textbooks and although
there are competing schemes, such as the three domain system, the five
kingdom system has a lot of advantages for educational use. Five
Kingdoms is often taught in high school biology and even as early as the
6th grade: http://curie.uncg.edu/~esmith/5kings.html

David Hershey
dh321 at excite.com