active transport

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 9 03:31:53 EST 1999

>              "You seem to imply that because plants 'use energy to control water'               therefore     the movement of water is active."

Yes, Bob, I'd say that the use of energy to move water against the  electrochemical potential gradient is EXACTLY my definition of "active transport of water.  Thank youfor clearing it up for me.
*grin*
No, I don't think all plant (nor animal) processes are active.  To qualify for my idea of active, energy must be spent to do something opposing the natural flow.
Water entering root hairs in wet soil is passive transport.  Water entering root hairs from a root environment that is more saline than the plant tissue is active transport.
Steve

--
Drop by and see me at :
 http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6811