Nicotiana growth conditions

Wed Oct 13 10:30:34 EST 1999

At 11:45 AM -0500 10/12/99, Kelly McConnaughay wrote:
>Dear Plant-edders
>
>I am a student at Bradley University beginning an undergrad research
>project.  I will be comparing the induced responses of Nicotiana sylvestris
>to simulated herbivory after grown in low and high nitrogen availability
>and ambient and elevated CO2 atmospheres.  But I need to know what are
>normal greenhouse growing conditions for Nicotiana sylvestris (soil
>composition, temp, everything) and the range of nitrogen availability for
>these plants in the field?
>
>Any info is appreciated,
>
>Julie Lasanen
>

>please send replies to kdm at hilltop.bradley.edu

Hi Julie!

I'm growing a lot of N. sylvestris in my
greenhouses here at ECSU. The plants are
thriving for me.  I am growing them in 4.5 inch
Kord geranium pots (sorry, English standards for
pots). I am using Fafard #2 potting soil (not
too different from ProMix BX). The plants are
watered twice daily with a drip irrigation system
with what I hope is 100 ppm N from a 20-20-20
Peters soluble fertilizer mix. At present I am
leaving the walkway fluorescent lights on 24hours
a day so that the plants are under long-day
conditions to flower.  I am trying to get seeds
from crosses of these transgenic plants. My
temperature settings are 75 day/65 night. I am
not supplementing with CO2 at all other than
what visiting humans give off.  The greenhouse is
a two-layer polyethylene hoop house, and I have
55% shade cloth over it at present but it is
coming off soon.  The growth is lush in the
partial shade.

Best wishes!

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479