Gregor Mendel

Christopher T. Cole colect at MRS.UMN.EDU
Mon Oct 25 09:00:58 EST 1999

Here are some articles etc. that you might want to check.  Mendel got the
black eye from a runs test that Fisher conducted but others disagree.

Enjoy.

--Chris Cole

Corcos, A.F. & F.V. Monaghan. 1992. Gregor mendel's Experiments on Plant
Hybrids: A Guided Study.  Rutgers U. Press.

Monaghan, F. & A. Corcos. 1985. Chi-square and Mendel's experiments:
where's the bias? J. Hered. 76:307-309.

_________. 1985. Mendel, the empiricist.  J. Hered. 76:49-54.

Pilgrim, I. 1986. A solution to the too-good-to-be-true paradox and Gregor
Mendel. J. Hered. 77:21i-220

Weiling, F. 1986.  What about R.A. Fisher's statement of the "too good"
data of J.G. Mendel's Pisum paper?  J. Hered. 77:281-283.

Wright, S. 1966. Mendel's ratios.  In C. Stern and E. Sherwood, The Origin
of Genetics: a Mendel Source Book., pp. 173-175.  W.H. Freeman.

Hartl, D.L. & V. Orel. 1992.  What did Gregor Mendel think he discovered?
Genetics 131:245-253.

At 01:53 PM 23-10-99 -0400, taguebwREMOVE at wfu.edu wrote:
>Hey plant ed'ers,
>
>We all know that the really important scientific findings are discovered
>in plants first (the field of genetics, viruses, gasses as signalling
>molecules, etc. etc. etc) and that the animal, fungal and prokaryotic
>folks are jealous.... For example, I'm currently using a text book for my
>cell and molecular biology class that seems to take a bit of a sideways
>swipe at my hero Gregor Mendel. I also seem to remember talk a few years
>back about data fudging when it comes to Mendel's 3:1 ratios.
>
>One problem, of course, is Mendel's law of independent assortment. We now
>know that genes can be linked and therefore tend to be inherited together.
>The seven major traits that Mendel followed showed no linkage; that's how
>Gregor got his law of independent assortment.
>
>Now the book I'm using (Karp: Cell and Molecular Biology, 2nd ed) says
>"Whether Mendel owed his findings to good fortune or simply to a lack of
>interest in any traits that did not fit his predictions remains unclear
>(P. 417)." It is particularly the second of these possibilities that seems
>like a bit of a swipe.
>
>So what is the latest on my hero Gregor? Was he lucky? Did he look at
>other traits and discard them from analysis? DId he discard them because
>they didn't fit his predictions? Did he discard them to concentrate on
>well-behaved traits that could be attacked statistically? Did he fudge his
>data?
>
>Gregor did some amazing science some 50  years ahead of his time. What's
>the latest on him?
>
>Thanks
>
>Brian
>
>--