new Mendel question

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at OSU.EDU
Mon Oct 25 14:58:53 EST 1999

Doug,
Edelson, in the recent book I mentioned earlier today, writes (p. 56),
"Mendel did many more plant experiments with a number of different species.
The largest number of experiments was done with many varieties of
Hieracium, a plant that was abundant in the region.  More than 22 of
Mendel's experiments with varieties of Hieracium have been recorded.  He
wrote and published a paper describing some of those experiments, but it
went unnoticed, even many years later after his work with Pisum had become
famous."  Unfortunately, as with many other "facts" in Edelson's book, the
work on Hieracium is not cited in the bibliography.
DWK

>As long as we're on Mendel, I want to make sure what I've heard is not
>simply a
>laboratory legend.   A while back, someone told me that Mendel tried to
>corroborate his pea inheritance conclusions using Heiracium (a composite).
>Unfortunately, the experiments didn't work because the plants he was trying to
>use were apomicts.
>
>Has anyone else heard this?
>
>Doug
>
>--
>Douglas P. Jensen
>Assistant Professor of Biology
>Converse College
>580 East Main Street
>Spartanburg, South Carolina 29302
>(864)596-9123
>fax: (864)596-9201
David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu