C-fern sites -- Updated Site and New Web Address

Thomas R. Warne twarne at UTK.EDU
Wed Sep 1 10:04:10 EST 1999

For C-Fern, there is a new web address:  http://cfern.bio.utk.edu
that has been extensively redesigned and updated. The Research Link 2000
site links to this address. You can also access this site through a
redirect from an older address  http://www.bio.utk.edu/cfern/.   I am
currently working on redirect(s) from the even older, longer addresses.

Within a week or less, we should have available for free download the
current write-up for Chemical Attraction: C-Fern Sperm Chemotaxis. This
is an attention grabbing demonstration or experiment that capitalizes on
the ability of C-Fern sperm to detect and respond to a chemical signal
(positive chemotaxis). Using sperm from 12 – 18 day-old C-Fern
gametophyte cultures and simple equipment, students can document the
elicit distinctly different responses or even the natural
chemoattractant that allows sperm to locate receptive archegonia and
eggs.

"Singer, Susan R" wrote:

> > David,
> >   Here are two web sites to look at.  The first is Research Links 2000
> > which
> > is geared for intro bio students and has a C-fern section:
> > http://www.researchlink.ferris.edu/.  The other is the cfern site for
> > teaching and research:
> > http://www.bio.utk.edu/botany/cfern/cwhatnew/cwhatnew.html. I've found
> > both