Pollen and gamete nomenclature

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Thu Sep 2 16:44:56 EST 1999

Kathleen is correct.

The male gametes are produced by division of the cells within the pollen 
grains, the spermatogenous cell in conifers and the generative cell of 


At 01:57 PM 9/2/99 -0700, Kathleen Archer wrote:
>I'm not a morphologist, but I think the correct name for pollen is immature
>male gametophyte.  It is the life stage that bears the male gametes, but is
>not itself a gamete.
>Kath Archer

James. W. Perry, CEO/Campus Dean
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road, P.O. Box 8002
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952-9002
Office: 920.832.2610
FAX: 920.832.2674
jperry at uwc.edu

More information about the Plant-ed mailing list