Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at steel.ucs.indiana.edu
Fri Sep 3 06:53:34 EST 1999

I am going over some evolutionary theory in my plant bio class, and it
occurred to me that, although I know that polyploidy occurs much more
often in plant speciation events than in animals, I do not know *why* this
is true.  Is it a quality of the plant genome itself, or a result of
products similar to colchicine (that can prevent reduction-division during
meiosis) being more common in plant cells, or because of some other

Any leads (citations, etc.) on this topic would be appreciated!

Dana A. Dudle
Dept. of Biological Sciences
DePauw University
Greencastle, IN  46135