Pyracantha that seems to be dying

N. Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Sun Aug 6 17:37:53 EST 2000

On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 14:45:21 GMT, PWB <pwb at veriomail.com> wrote:

>I have a Pyracantha that seems to be dying.  I bought it a few months
>ago and transplanted it to a larger pot.  Even though I cut the upper
>portion which was turning brown (and staying brown) -- now the upper
>portion (which was the middle portion before the cutting) is also
>turning brown.  Is this normal or might I be watering it too much.  I
>water it every other day and the soil always looks moist.   I have had
>it in direct sunlight and also in partial shade.  Any ideas how to save
>my pyracantha?

Here in California Pyracantha is almost immortal! It grows like a
weed. One thing you might check is whether it has contracted a
disease called fireblight. You might check with your agricultural
advisor. Fireblight is a bacterial disease that attacks members of
the Rose Family (which Pyracantha is in).  - NH
Nancy Harrison
T.A.Botany at Santa Rosa Jr.College
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
Milo Baker Chapter, California Native Plant Society
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html