Subscribe

Dr. Andrew Samuelsen andrews at alb.edu
Wed Aug 16 09:59:06 EST 2000

Dear Group,
     I'm teaching a Botany course at Albright College in Reading
Pennsylvania.  I am attempting to do a floating leaf disc assay for
photosynthesis based on a paper in the American Biology Teacher 47:
96-99, 1985.  Basically one vacuum infiltrates the discs in a buffer to
make them sink, shine a light on them and then the oxygen they produce
causes them to float (inversely proportional to the photosynthetic
rate).  It looks great on paper, but I can't seem to get the leaf discs
to sink.  I've tried adding surfactant (i.e. Tween 80), changed from a
sink aspirator to a vacuum pump and nothing makes them sink!  One
suggestion I recently received is to use tobacco leaf material, I will
try this since I have been using Coleus, Spinach and Bean leaf discs.
If anyone uses this assay successfully in their lab please tell me your
secret to success.  Thanks so much!!
Sincerely,
Andy Samuelsen