rootless Aloe

Kevin Franken kflist13 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 21 00:49:51 EST 2000

Hi there -

I have a bunch of "baby" Aloe plants that arose vegetatively from their
mother plants.  For some reason, these baby plants have no roots - there are
nodes where roots can grow from, but no roots are present now.  I noticed
this when I pulled a few from their pots.  Does anyone know what
soil/fertilizer/etc. will promote root growth in both baby and older Aloe
plants?

Weeks ago, I potted a few adult Aloe plants that did not have any roots in
some Hyponex All-purpose potting soil.  I just took them out and saw NO
roots.  Is this kind of soil not very good?  Should I have added fertilizer?
  The plant is very much alive - it just doesn't have any roots.  I have
watered it when necessary, but still no roots.

I am aware of auxin as a hormone that promotes rooting.  Will this and/or
other chemicals/soil types help these Aloes?

Thank you.

Kevin